CHITRAL NEWS & VIEWS
(Refresh page for latest news)
Glimpse of Chitral Valley
Chitral is the farthest North district of Pakistan. Now it has been bifurcated into two districts namely Upper and Lower Chitral. Historically it has been a sovereign territory since early history. Buddhist , Khows, Kalash and Muslims ruled chitral news valley in different intervals.
The last rulers were the Katooray tribe whose members still enjoy high positions in Chitral. The two main sects of Muslims in Chitral valley Are Sunni Muslims 70 percent and Ismailia Muslims 30 percent.
Chitral is home to the ancient Kalash tribe which makes it a great tourist attraction. It also homes Pakistan’s longest road tunnel namely Lowari Tunnel (8.5 Km). Magnificent mountains with a Terichmir peak beautiful, peaceful, and tourist-friendly people also with 6th highest peak in the world.
Chitral was always devoid of adequate communication facilities. During WW II, the ruler employed a ‘specialist’ to listen to BBC News on the only radio which belonged to the ruler and translates news about the war. I launched CHITRAL NEWS in 1993 first as a weekly Urdu newspaper named ‘Hindukush Chitral’.
In 2003 when the internet became available I transferred the paper to an online mode after renaming it as CHITRAL-NEWS. It stand out as the pioneer of honest and bold journalism in Chitral and has shown the way to many other online publications.
Published online and updated multiple times a day- CHITRAL NEWS
It is the only publication from Chitral syndicated by Google for reporting news on Chitral. Chitral News also enjoys a high page ranking of 5 on Google page rank which depicts the high quality of its readers. It has a decent presence on Facebook with over 4000 likes.
- Chitral News Briefs This page lists brief news regarding Chitral without going into the details of the news. It is essentially the crux or the takeaway from news. Read Further >>
- The ultimate ‘muk-muka’ in Pakistan What is the biggest problem being faced by the people of Pakistan? Terrorism- No!, because terrorism can be eliminated with an honest effort as is being done by the armed forces now.… Read Further >>
- Why are Muslims financially corrupt According to a Transparency International report, seven out of eight most corrupt nations are Muslim majority - something to ponder about and something to be worried about too. An example in case… Read Further >>
- Weekly holidays should be abolished Pakistan is in the throes of a grievous economic turmoil. We are begging for more money from the IMF to pay for the interest of the previously loaned money. Under such circumstances… Read Further >>
- Chitral deserves a University It is a measure of leadership failure in Chitral that it is without a university of its own. Shaheed Benazir Bhutto University (SBBU) Dir which has been given jurisdiction over Chitral, is… Read Further >>
- Evolution of the Chitrali Calm Mind Chitral, the idyllic spot; the heaven on earth, to use the common phrase, where the manifestation of the supreme power is so richly displayed in the form of high peaked mountains touching… Read Further >>
- Developing Creativity Through Education Creativity is the ability to imagine or invent something new. It is not the ability to create something out of nothing, but the ability to generate new ideas by combining, changing or… Read Further >>
- Time to clean our Augean stable Pakistan has become an Augean stable of inept and corrupt politicians, religious obscurantists, cunning beurocracy, budget guzzling military and maze of security agencies. No wonder the world has started raising fingers on… Read Further >>
- Suggestion for choosing representatives in Chitral Elections are nearing!! The season of political rallies, blame-game, slogans, empty promises and false claims will soon begin! It is not important, who wins or who looses, what is important is how… Read Further >>
- Education should not be linked with literacy alone I have been a school teacher of the yester generation and later also have held a responsible position in local politics for a long time. I feel the essence of education is… Read Further >>
- Girls against boys and the winner is… There has been an alarming increase in the rate of suicide amongst the young female population in Chitral. The phenomenon needs to be studied carefully and elaborately to identify the reasons and… Read Further >>
- Urban Planning in Chitral is inevitable now For the last few years change in lifestyle and social infrastructure is going to take place very rapidly in Chital. The tunnelising of Lowari pass and the new road and the bypass… Read Further >>
- Improvement in Education system The syllabus presently taught in our schools is not the actual issue. It is the traditional teaching system in our schools which has to be improved. Teaching method must be assisted by… Read Further >>
- Energy policy should get top priority A clear, well defined and aggressive Energy policy should be the top priority of the new government formed after the next elections. We are suffering from deprivation for no other reason than… Read Further >>
- Curb meat consumption to reduce violence The element of violence and intolerance in our every day behaviour is fast increasing. One reason I think, is the over consumption of meat amongst our population. Even in the animal world… Read Further >>
- ‘Buy a Democracy’ in Pakistan According to a report in an Urdu daily, the asking price for a person desirous of becoming a Senator from the Tribal areas has surged to a swopping figure of Rs 24… Read Further >>
- Post border attack, introspection required The tragic incident of infiltrators from across the border attacking our security posts at Arandu and causing gross casualties should be an eye opener for all who have the responsibility to protect… Read Further >>
- Democracy getting dangerous, needs immediate reforms Democracy as practiced in Pakistan had since long become synonymous with corruption and mal-governance but now it has also become dangerous for the social fabric of the society. The concept of grabbing… Read Further >>
- E-Voting – Why not Immediate Implementation? Electronic voting is being implemented every where in the world at a rapid pace. Countries like India and Bangla Desh have also adopted the new technology. Pakistan has a good basic infrastructure… Read Further >>