CHITRAL NEWS & VIEWS
(Refresh page for latest news)
Glimpse of Chitral Valley
Chitral is the farthest North district of Pakistan. Now it has been bifurcated into two districts namely Upper and Lower Chitral. Historically it has been a sovereign territory since early history. Buddhist , Khows, Kalash and Muslims ruled chitral news valley in different intervals.
The last rulers were the Katooray tribe whose members still enjoy high positions in Chitral. The two main sects of Muslims in Chitral valley Are Sunni Muslims 70 percent and Ismailia Muslims 30 percent.
Chitral is home to the ancient Kalash tribe which makes it a great tourist attraction. It also homes Pakistan’s longest road tunnel namely Lowari Tunnel (8.5 Km). Magnificent mountains with a Terichmir peak beautiful, peaceful, and tourist-friendly people also with 6th highest peak in the world.
Chitral was always devoid of adequate communication facilities. During WW II, the ruler employed a ‘specialist’ to listen to BBC News on the only radio which belonged to the ruler and translates news about the war. I launched CHITRAL NEWS in 1993 first as a weekly Urdu newspaper named ‘Hindukush Chitral’.
In 2003 when the internet became available I transferred the paper to an online mode after renaming it as CHITRAL-NEWS. It stand out as the pioneer of honest and bold journalism in Chitral and has shown the way to many other online publications.
Published online and updated multiple times a day- CHITRAL NEWS
It is the only publication from Chitral syndicated by Google for reporting news on Chitral. Chitral News also enjoys a high page ranking of 5 on Google page rank which depicts the high quality of its readers. It has a decent presence on Facebook with over 4000 likes.
- Chitral News Briefs This page lists brief news regarding Chitral without going into the details of the news. It is essentially the crux or the takeaway from news. Read Further >>
- Sudan’s government agrees to separate religion and state .. by Michael Atit FILE - Sudanese Prime Minister Abdalla Hamdok, left, and The Sudan Liberation Movement-North leader, Abdel-Aziz Adam al-Hilu, hold up their hands in the conflict-affected remote town of Kauda,… Read Further >>
- CM hands over compensation cheques to flood affectees in Chitral .. by Zahiruddin CHITRAL: Khyber Pakhtunkhwa Chief Minister Mahmood Khan visited the flood-hit villages in Reshun area of Upper Chitral district and Golen valley in Lower Chitral district and distributed compensation cheques… Read Further >>
- Has Chitral become a ‘banana republic’? [caption id="attachment_20972" align="alignleft" width="377"] Pushcart banana vendor in Chitral bazar[/caption] CHITRAL: Not in the proverbial sense of being a 'banana republic', but virtually a district full of bananas for sale. The fruit… Read Further >>
- Landmark decision: Govt allows use of hemp for medicinal purposes. CHITRAL: In a landmark decision the government has issued licenses for the use of hemp to the Ministry of Science and technology and PCSIR, for medicinal and industrial purposes. This news has… Read Further >>
- Chitral concluding a mosquito free summer CHITRAL: With the advent of September along with widespread rains in the districts, Chitral is seeing off summers with a difference this year. The summer in Chitral has almost been a mosquito… Read Further >>
- Building demolished in Kalash valley to preserve cultural sanctity CHITRAL: The district administration on Monday razed a newly-constructed building of a multi-storey hotel in Krakal village of Bumburate valley as part of its drive against illegal and unapproved buildings. Lower Chitral… Read Further >>
- A sad reflection of a non Muslim on the ‘Teachings of Islam’ vs ‘Practices followed by Muslims’ While in London, I went to visit, one of the exhibition entitled: "Introduction to Islam". This exhibition was attended by a Da'ee, who was already living there. He told us the following… Read Further >>
- Three large passenger planes with tourists land at Skardu simultaneously [caption id="attachment_20947" align="alignleft" width="539"] Skardu Airport[/caption] CHITRAL: Three Airbus passenger planes laden with tourists have landed at Skardu airport as a first time. The government's boost to tourism coupled with the PIA… Read Further >>
- Kalash want consent of parents for their girls to marry Muslims CHITRAL: The Kalash community wants a law/agreement between the two communities that makes it mandatory for a Kalash girl to get the consent of her parents before she decides to marry a… Read Further >>
- Wastage of public money on faulty road construction should be stopped CHITRAL: The N-14 which is running all the way from Nowshehra district to Chitral via Dir.It is operated and maintained by the NHA. Before the Lawari tunnel project the people of Chitral… Read Further >>
- Chitral sees increase in beggary CHITRAL: The residents of Chitral have complained against phenomenal increase in the number of children and women beggars in the district. They said that certain families from Sheshi Koh and other southern… Read Further >>
- Disappointed Mastuj people pick up shovels and spades to repair road on self help basis CHITRAL: Hundreds of people of Mastuj Tehsil of Upper Chitral District under the leadership of Prof. Dr. Muhammad Ismail Wali started construction of 30 km road of Mastuj on their self help basis. .… Read Further >>
- Opposition, civil society decry plan to drop key road from CPEC rout BAJAUR: The opposition parties and civil society on Saturday protested against the government’s alleged plan to drop Bajaur, Dir and Chitral districts from the western CPEC route. A large number of workers,… Read Further >>
- Covid restrictions, closure of playgrounds has pushed many youth towards hashish smoking CHITRAL: The past five months have been very challenging for the country. It is only now when the Covid threat is receding that life is returning to normalcy. While the Covid restrictions… Read Further >>
- Glacial flash flood causes death and damage to property in Yarkhun CHITRAL: Flash flood due to glacial burst in Yarkun Lasht area of upper Chitral has caused the death of a young girl and damage to about fifteen houses . The Boroghil road… Read Further >>
- Hotel accident; Many Chitralis display wicked enthusiasm CHITRAL: The unfortunate accident of the parapet of a balcony giving in at the Terichmir View hotel in Chitral which cost three lives and several injuries, is a most unfortunate occurrence. No… Read Further >>
- Tourists visiting Chitral complain of holdups at Lowari tunnel CHITRAL: After the lifting of Coronavirus restrictions, tourists have started moving into Chitral in large numbers as they have to other touristic areas of Northern Pakistan. However some tourists talking to CN… Read Further >>
- Russia approves Covid-19 vaccine, WHO cautions, Putin tries it on daughter, Gold, stocks tumble Russian President Vladimir Putin has said a locally developed vaccine for Covid-19 has been given regulatory approval after less than two months of testing on humans. Mr Putin said the vaccine had… Read Further >>