CHITRAL NEWS & VIEWS
(Refresh page for latest news)
Glimpse of Chitral Valley
Chitral is the farthest North district of Pakistan. Now it has been bifurcated into two districts namely Upper and Lower Chitral. Historically it has been a sovereign territory since early history. Buddhist , Khows, Kalash and Muslims ruled chitral news valley in different intervals.
The last rulers were the Katooray tribe whose members still enjoy high positions in Chitral. The two main sects of Muslims in Chitral valley Are Sunni Muslims 70 percent and Ismailia Muslims 30 percent.
Chitral is home to the ancient Kalash tribe which makes it a great tourist attraction. It also homes Pakistan’s longest road tunnel namely Lowari Tunnel (8.5 Km). Magnificent mountains with a Terichmir peak beautiful, peaceful, and tourist-friendly people also with 6th highest peak in the world.
Chitral was always devoid of adequate communication facilities. During WW II, the ruler employed a ‘specialist’ to listen to BBC News on the only radio which belonged to the ruler and translates news about the war. I launched CHITRAL NEWS in 1993 first as a weekly Urdu newspaper named ‘Hindukush Chitral’.
In 2003 when the internet became available I transferred the paper to an online mode after renaming it as CHITRAL-NEWS. It stand out as the pioneer of honest and bold journalism in Chitral and has shown the way to many other online publications.
Published online and updated multiple times a day- CHITRAL NEWS
It is the only publication from Chitral syndicated by Google for reporting news on Chitral. Chitral News also enjoys a high page ranking of 5 on Google page rank which depicts the high quality of its readers. It has a decent presence on Facebook with over 4000 likes.
- Chitral News Briefs This page lists brief news regarding Chitral without going into the details of the news. It is essentially the crux or the takeaway from news. Read Further >>
- ‘Women emancipation’ experiment at high gear in Chitral CHITRAL: Just a few years back it was unthinkable that women would come out in the bazars of Chitral to do their shopping, even when accompanied by their male family members. Now,… Read Further >>
- New PIA schedule says two weekly flights to Chitral instead of four CHITRAL: About two weeks back, PIA had announced four weekly flights from Islamabad to Chitral starting 03 March. However, even before commencement of the announced flights, now a new schedule has been… Read Further >>
- Transparent use of road maintenance funds in Chitral demanded CHITRAL: The government contractors have demanded transparency in the utilisation of the annual maintenance and repair (AM&R) funds for roads in Chitral region by the communication and works department and for irrigation… Read Further >>
- The frivolity of politics in Pakistan CHITRAL: Politics in Pakistan is getting more and more frivolous by the day. We were used to votes being cast in favour or against a candidate for his/her attending/not attending funerals and… Read Further >>
- Vehicles still being forcibly held at Lowari tunnel CHITRAL: Despite complaints and protests on being harassed at the Lowari tunnel on all forums, even on the PM's complaint portal, the practice of lowering the barrier and holding up transport vehicles… Read Further >>
- A Commendable Gesture of PTI .. by Zahoor ul Haq Danish All differences with PTI aside, there is no denying the fact that PTI has taken certain such steps which have been unprecedented in the political history… Read Further >>
- PIA enhances flights to Chitral CHITRAL: PIA flights to Chitral had virtually been halted as the once a week flight would often get cancelled due to one reason or the other and travellers had gotten used to… Read Further >>
- Govt establishing cannabis farms : MIn of Science LAHORE: Federal Minister for Science and Technology Chaudhry Fawad Hussain has said that farms for cannabis production are being established in Jhelum, Peshawar, Chakwal and Islamabad, highlighting that cannabis was an alternative to… Read Further >>
- Chitral gets first female Judiciary head CHITRAL: Ms Phool Bibi has been posted as the District and Sessions Judge, Lower Chitral, according to a notification of the Peshawar High Court. Earlier a female District Police Officer (DPO) in… Read Further >>
- In Search of Ashoka’s Edict .. by Fateh-ul-Mulk Ali Nasir Ashoka's rock edict The Emperor Ashoka of the Mauryan Dynasty is one of the most intriguing figures in South Asian history. The celebrated story of a great warrior… Read Further >>
- Bitcoin consumes ‘more electricity than Argentina’ .. by Cristina Criddle IMAGE COPYRIGHTGETTY IMAGES The University of Cambridge's online tool estimates Bitcoin's annual electricity consumption is more than The Netherlands, United Arab Emirates and Argentina Bitcoin uses more electricity… Read Further >>
- Pakistani Morality falling to Money CHITRAL: The recent video going viral on the internet showing the process of 'horse trading' in the last Senate Elections' and the confessions of an ex Minister about all that happened, is… Read Further >>
- Lo and behold: Artificial heart to be sold this year .. by Tim Hayes The “world’s most advanced artificial heart” can adjust the blood flow rate in real time A recent Gizmodo article discussed the latest advancement in total artificial hearts (TAH). The device comes… Read Further >>
- After Lahore, donkey meat now being sold In twin cities .. by Mehak Mir It is alarming for the people of twin-cities as, after Lahore, butchers of Rawalpindi are playing with masses’ lives by selling them donkey meat. This shocking incident was… Read Further >>
- Pakistan needs a new constitution CHITRAL: Constitutions have been revised and rewritten every where in the world whenever the need arose and when it was deemed fit to do so. As per latest news, Turkey is vying… Read Further >>
- Upper Chitral residents perpetually protesting lack of basic needs CHITRAL: The residents of upper Chitral are seen always in the protest mode over the lack of basic facilities. Sometime it is for the lack of a proper road, repair of a… Read Further >>
- Govt to open historic Attock fort for tourists .. by Raza Rizvi The historic Mughal-era Attock Fort, built during the reign of Emperor Akbar, will be turned into a tourist destination for promoting tourism. The 520-year-old fort that was built… Read Further >>
- Indigenous locals express reservations over opening valley for tourists Chitral: : At Madak Lasht in Shishi Koh valley of Lower Chitral, the venue of the currently held winter snow sports festival, the Deputy Commissioner Lower Chitral, Hasan Abid, held a Khuli… Read Further >>